FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions about the MSc in Medicinal Chemistry – University of Copenhagen

Forward this page to a friend Resize Print Bookmark and Share

Medicinal Chemistry > FAQ - Admission

FAQ - Admission and Application Procedure

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the admission and application procedure at the MSc in Medicinal Chemistry.

Admission Requirements

Application Procedure


Language test

Tuition Fees and Scholarships

Admission Process

Admission Requirements for the MSc in Medicinal Chemistry

Q: What are the Admission Requirements for the MSc in Medicinal Chemistry?
A: To be admitted to the programme you must hold a Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, medicinal chemistry or pharmacy. You must have accumulated credits in chemical and biological disciplines according to the admission requirements and you must prove your English language skills if English is not your mother tongue.Til toppen

Q: Is my degree relevant to Medicinal Chemistry?
A: You must hold a Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, medicinal chemistry or pharmacy and have accumulated credits in chemical (80 ECTS) and biological (30 ECTS) disciplines. The Board of Admission will decide whether other degree programmes equate in content and scope to the specific requirements above in their review of the academic content after the application deadline. Thus it is important that you provide documentation on how you live up to the admission criteria.Til toppen

Q: What are the various Bachelor’s degrees of previously accepted students?
A: Students have previously been admitted on the basis of the following Bachelor's degrees:

  • Applied Chemistry
  • Biochemistry
  • Biological and Medicinal Chemistry
  • Biopharmaceutical Chemistry
  • Chemical Sciences
  • Chemistry
  • Life Science
  • Molecular and Cellular Biology
  • Molecular Biomedicine
  • Pharmaceutical Science
  • Pharmacy
  • Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical ChemistryTil toppen

Q: Are there any directly qualifying Bachelor’s degrees?
A: No, there are no directly qualifying Bachelor’s degrees.Til toppen

Q: Is there a time-limitation on my Bachelor’s degree for applying for this programme?
A: Yes, your Bachelor’s degree must have been gained within the last 5 years, prior to the start of the first semester of the Master’s programme. E.g. for the intake of 2018, you must have graduated by September 2013 or thereafter. Otherwise you will not fulfill the graduation year requirement.Til toppen

Q: What if I already hold a Master’s degree?
A: According to the Danish University Programme Order, applicants who have already completed a Danish Master’s degree (2-year) can only be admitted 6 years after finishing the Master’s degree. Applicants with a non-Danish Master’s degree can be admitted to this MSc programme on the same terms as other applicants. Please note that admission requirement is based solely upon an applicant’s Bachelor’s degree.Til toppen

Q: I have passed courses at Master’s level (but not yet finished the degree), may I still apply?
A: Yes, you may still apply; however, according to Danish legislation, it is mandatory that you list these courses at the question on ‘previous unfinished Master’s programmes?’ when applying via the Online Application Portal. If the courses are equivalent in scope and content to courses in the MSc programme, you are obliged to transfer credits for these specific courses.

Application Procedure for the MSc in Medicinal Chemistry

Q: How do I apply?
A: Applications are only accepted via the UCPH Online Application Portal. Read more on how to create an application on the Online Application Portal.Til toppen

Q: How do I enter the Online Application Portal?
A: All applicants can set up a user account, in which you submit all personal as well as  academic information. You may enter via the WAYF list, if your Bachelor’s degree is/will be completed from a Danish educational institution. In you enter via the WAYF list, your personal information will be collected from this institution and for a selection of institutions on the list it will also be possible to collect data about your studies automatically. We ask that you use an email address that will be effective till September (sometimes university email accounts are ineffective upon graduation).Til toppen 

Q: The deadline for application is running close and I cannot submit my application via the Online Application Portal, may I send it to you instead?
A: We cannot accept the application or some of the obligatory enclosures (if they are too sizable etc.), via email, as the application procedure may only take place online. You may choose to annul the existing application and start over, so that the new version does indeed encompass all obligatory enclosures.Til toppen

Q: What is the size limits to the various uploads in the Online Application Portal?
A: All forms of official documentation such as diplomas, exams, grades, test scores, and documentation for relevant professional or extracurricular experience must be uploaded as PDF files in the UCPH Online Application Portal. Self-produced texts like your CV and letter of motivation may be uploaded as text documents, though preferably as PDFs. Maximum file size is 10MB.Til toppen


Q: Do you accept obligatory enclosures via email?
A: No, applications are accepted via the Online Application Portal only. If you experience technical problems, you may cancel your draft version and start a new application (before the deadline only). We will do our best to guide you in the table on the application procedure pages.Til toppen

Q: What should I include in my application?
A: Enclosures must be forwarded in English. All applications must include your certified transcript; descriptions of the grading- and credit system of your home university; a certified diploma (if applicable); course descriptions to document that you meet the course requirements of the programme; your CV in English; and a motivation letter in English. If English is not your mother tongue and if you did not complete your entire Bachelor’s degree in English, you must document your English proficiency via the IELTS or TOEFL test.Til toppen

Q: I would like to include letters of recommendation in my application, but I do not see them under obligatory enclosures?
A: Letters of recommendation are not required; however, if you have them already, it is possible to enclose the relevant as additional documents to your online application. They are not accepted via email or regular mail.Til toppen

Q: I have not yet graduated and my transcript, thus, is not yet complete. May I still apply?
A: Yes, you may still apply; however, it is important that you account for the credits that do not yet figure on your transcript, so that it is clear that you are in good standing - and that your Bachelor’s degree will be finished before commencing the MSc at the end of August. You may do this by listing the current or planned courses/projects in your CV. Bachelor’s diplomas must be issued as soon as possible upon receipt; preferably before the commencement of your studies and 20 September at the latest.Til toppen

Q: The credit and grade scale that I submitted with my application indicates the length of my programme in units and my grades in letters; will you be able to convert it?
A: There are no standard conversion tables that give a clear indication of foreign credits vis-à-vis the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). You do not have to make the conversion; simply indicate the scale in an official version that is used by your home university (i.e. how much does a Bachelor's degree, full time studies, comprise in points/units? And what is the dimension of the grade scale?). We will make the estimation where it is necessary.Til toppen

Q: What do I need to upload in the marking scale section?
A: You should upload the credit- and marking scale (an official version) that is used by your home university (i.e. how much does your Bachelor's degree in full time studies, comprise in points/units/credits? And what is the official marking scale of your home university?).Til toppen

Q: The Online Application Portal asks for course descriptions, should I enclose descriptions of all the courses that I have completed in my Bachelor’s programme?
A: No, you do not have to enclose descriptions of all the courses that you have completed in your Bachelor’s programme. In your application, it is important that you provide documentation on how you live up to the admission criteria for the MSc in Medicinal Chemistry. Students thus often copy-paste specific course descriptions (including the official course number that will be visible on their Bachelor transcript as well) from their home university website, to highlight how the courses make them qualified for the programme. You may also, in this connection, choose to upload the bibliography for this particular course or courses. The information forwarded must be in English.Til toppen

Q: How do I document my citizenship?
A: A copy of your passport or a national ID containing your photo, full name, date of birth, and nationality is accepted.Til toppen

Q: I am not sure whether my residence permit in Denmark or an EU/EEA-country is permanent (or prospectively permanent), when do I apply?
A: Non-EU/EEA citizens must apply by the 15 January deadline, if they are unsure as to whether their personal residence status in Denmark, or an EU/EEA country, is indeed permanent or prospectively so. We ask that you enclose all applicable documentation in your application, so that we may consult the Danish Immigration Services to inquire about your status, as this will have consequences in relation to charging the annual tuition fee. If you hold a permanent residence permit in one of the Nordic countries or a prospectively permanent permit in Denmark, you will not be charged any tuition fee; non-EU/EEA applicants who are admitted to the programme are informed of this ultimo March. If you are in the process of changing your non-EU/EEA citizenship to an EU citizenship at that time of application, you will have to pay the first installment by the 1 May deadline. Based on documentation of EU citizenship, you will be exempted from further payments taking effect from the next semester.Til toppen

Q: What is the deadline for applying to the MSc in Medicinal Chemistry?
A: The application deadline is 15 January for all non-EU/EEA citizens and 1 March for all EU/EEA or Swiss citizens. The Online Application Portal opens 2 months prior to each deadline (15 November for non-EU/EEA, and 1 January for EU/EEA). The order in which the applications are received in the Online Application Portal has no bearing on the processing of the applications, as long as they are received before the final deadline.Til toppen

Q: I hold a non-EU/EEA citizenship but the deadline for application is now past, may I apply in the EU/EEA round instead?
A: The application windows rely solely on one’s citizenship; and if you hold a non-EU/EEA passport (only), you cannot apply during the EU/EEA round. We thus encourage you to apply for the next academic intake that is in a year.Til toppen

Q: May I submit my various enclosures in a language other than English?
A: No, all obligatory enclosures must be presented in English. Translations must be certified. For Danish students, transcripts and course descriptions will be accepted in Danish if the documents do not exist in translation.Til toppen

Q: Should I send my original diploma and transcript via regular mail as well?
A: No, it will suffice to scan the original documents in an upload to the Online Application Portal.Til toppen

Q: What does it mean that my diploma and transcript must be certified?
A: When you submit your scanned diploma and transcript in the Online Application Portal, the documents must contain a stamp and signature from your home University’s Registrar’s Office, or other relevant body, to convey the authenticity of the document. Upon commencement of the Introductory Programme at the end of August, the original documents must be presented for verification.Til toppen

Q: What should be the length and format of my motivational letter/statement of purpose?
A: Your application must contain a letter of motivation/statement of purpose of 1-2 pages, covering the following topics, for example: a. your reasons for applying for admission to the programme, b. how the MSc programme will build on the knowledge and experiences you have gained in your Bachelor's degree, c. other relevant experiences, which qualify you for embarking on the study of Medicinal Chemistry (e.g. internships, travels, student jobs, etc.), d. your thoughts and plans in terms of your future career. We recommend that you save and upload this document as a PDF.Til toppen

Q: What should be the length and format of my curriculum vitae (CV)?
A: The CV should describe your relevant educational and work experience and/or other qualifications in chronological order. You may enclose additional documentation of relevant work experience, letters of recommendation (pdf), etc. here also. For inspiration on building a CV, you may visit EUROPASS. There is no set length as to your CV; however, it is advisable to include the relevant points only. We recommend that you save and upload this document as a PDF.

Language test

Q: Can I send the results of the language test after the deadline for submission of the application?
A: Yes, you may send the language test results later. Do make sure to upload a document in the Online Application Portal in which you explain when you will be forwarding the results. The deadline for submitting language test results is 1 June, 2018.Til toppen

Q: Do my language test results have to be mailed to you directly from the language test center?
A: No, you should upload a scanned copy (PDF) of your official test results. The results must contain your IELTS or TOEFL ID number, as we will confirm the authenticity with the appropriate office.Til toppen

Q: I hold the citizenship of a state of which English is not the mother tongue, but my Bachelor’s degree was taught in English. Do I need to submit a language test?
A: If you have completed your Bachelor's degree in English, this is considered to be sufficient documentation for your English proficiency; however, merely a part of the degree, such as a year abroad, will not be enough and you will have to submit your language test results (IELTS or TOEFL). You must submit official documentation from your home university to prove the language of instruction.

Til toppen

Tuition Fees and Scholarships at the MSc in Medicinal Chemistry

Q: Do I need to pay tuition fees?
A: All non-EU/EEA citizens are required to pay tuition, if they do not hold a permanent residence permit in Denmark or an EU/EEA-country. As of 2017, the tuition fees of the MSc in Medicinal Chemistry are DKK 108,000 per year.Til toppen

Q: How do I pay the tuition fees?
A: Upon acceptance of admission, and confirmation of one’s willingness to pay tuition, an invoice will be sent to non-EU/EEA applicants who are admitted to the programme. Tuition fees are paid in 4 rates (each semester) throughout the 2-year programme. The installments of DKK 54.000 are due at the beginning of each semester; however, the first installment is due prior to the programme start – in primo May in order to obtain your residence permit in due time. The payment deadlines are fixed. Please note that a
refund is only possible in case you do not obtain your residence permit.Til toppen

Q: Are there any scholarships available?
A: Yes, each year a limited number of scholarships will be available to applicants of non-EU/EEA countries. There is no separate application form for these scholarships, as all eligible non-EU/EEA citizen applicants are automatically considered as part of the academic assessment. The scholarships are awarded to the academically most outstanding students, based on an overall evaluation of academic level and the relevancy of the BSc degree, as prescribed by the Danish Government. The scholarships are awarded for the entire 2-year programme. A scholarship can consist of either a scholarship covering the tuition fee – or a scholarship covering tuition fee and a supplement to living expenses. Please note that the supplement to living expenses is subject to taxation.Til toppen

Q: I am a US citizen; may I apply for US Direct Loan via University of Copenhagen?
A: Yes, US citizens may apply for the US Loan programme. Please see the UCPH website for further information on application and disbursements etc. The loan request will not be processed until you have been admitted to the programme, thus you may have to seek alternative means for financing the first tuition fee rate that is due early May. Depending on the details of your loan and credit history, you should, however, be able to have this expenditure covered by the US Loan Programme (the first disbursement will be in September or October).Til toppen

Admissions Process at the MSc in Medicinal Chemistry

Q: How many candidates are selected for admission to the MSc in Medicinal Chemistry?
A: The programme accepts a maximum of 50 students.Til toppen

Q: What are the selection criteria of the Admission Committee?
A: When selecting 50 among all the qualified students, the Admission Committee is focusing on overall academic achievements (grades, the relevancy of their degree and courses), CV (research experience, professionally relevant stays abroad), as well as the letter of motivation.Til toppen

Q: What happens after I submit my application?
A: The administrative team will be screening all applications immediately after the deadline (15 January for non-EU/EEA and 1 March for EU/EEA applicants). We will be contacting applicants who are missing obligatory enclosures in their applications and we will be contacting them directly via the system, so that they may upload the document(s) right away. Do make sure to check your email every day, including your spam folder.Til toppen

Q: I have not heard anything from you since I submitted my application in the Online Application Portal; do I have to do anything?
A: If you do not hear from us, your application was complete and you will hear from us end-March (non-EU/EEA) or end-May (EU/EEA applicants) when the Academic Board of Admission has reviewed all applications and determined who will receive an invitation of admission to the programme.Til toppen

Q: When will I know, if I was admitted to the programme?
A: All applicants receive answers to their applications via the Online Application Portal. Non-EU/EEA applicants receive answers ultimo March, and EU/EEA receive answers ultimo May.Til toppen

Q: I was rejected due to the capacity of the programme, when can I apply again?
A: The MSc in Medicinal Chemistry only has one intake per year which is in the fall.Til toppen

Q: I received a letter of conditional admission, what does that mean?
A: If you are conditionally admitted to the programme, it means that you have to provide further documentation of the following, before we will be able to provide you with a regular letter of admission: payment of tuition fees (the first rate that is due primo May, applicable to non-EU/EEA applicants only); and/or language test results of a minimum of 6.5 (IELTS) or 83 (TOEFL); and/or your final diploma upon graduation. The documentation must be forwarded as soon as possible upon receipt and before the commencement of your studies at the latest.Til toppen

Q: Do I need a residence permit to enter Denmark and how do I apply?
A: EU citizens can apply for a EU Registration Certificate upon arrival to Denmark. As soon as Non-EU students have paid the tuition fee in May, the admission team will forward supporting documents – the so-called ST1 application form. The application form will be partly filled in by the university, and the remaining part must be filled in by you online. The printed application must be presented to the nearest Danish representation.Til toppen

Q: When can I expect to receive my residence permit?
A: The application process for a residence permit usually takes 2-3 months. You should start the application process immediately upon receipt of the final letter of admission and the ST1. Contact the Danish representation, for information on how to apply for the permit.Til toppen