Admission of Exchange Students

Before you Apply

Before you start planning your exchange at the University of Copenhagen, contact your home university to find out if there is an exchange agreement and what the process is for you to apply for exchange. 

To make the most of your studies at the University of Copenhagen, we recommend that you have completed at least two years of full-time studies at your home university.

The Application

Once your home university have nominated you for exchange in our online nomination system, we will process your nomination and send you an invitation by e-mail including detailed information about completing our online application form.

Please note: You will typically receive the invitation e-mail 5–10 working days after being nominated online. Remember to check your junk mail/spam folder, as the invitation e-mails sometimes get caught there.

As part of the application, you are required to describe your proposed study programme at the University of Copenhagen, as well as your studies at your home university. You will also be asked to upload a transcript of the courses you have completed at your home university. We accept unofficial transcripts, preferably in PDF format, downloaded from the electronic registrar of your home university.

This is essential in order to decide whether you are qualified for admission, and whether the university can offer you the appropriate courses.

Proof of English proficiency

Scandinavian students and students enrolled at an institution in an English-speaking country are exempt from documenting sufficient English language proficiency.

For all other students, the following subjects requires proof of English proficiency: 

  • English Studies
  • Film and Media Studies
  • Information Studies
  • Philosophy
  • Political Science

The requirements are:

TOEFL Internet-based: minimum score: 80

IELTS: minimum score: 6.0

Cambridge Advanced English (CAE): minimum score: B Cambridge Proficiency in English (CPE): minimum score: C

Political Science also accepts:

Documentation for CEFR level: B2

Film and Media Studies and Philosophy will also consider:

Institutional tests or statements regarding the student’s English proficiency issued by the home university.

Information Studies:

European students and students enrolled at an intuition in an English-speaking country are exempt from documenting sufficient English language proficiency.

For all other students the requirements are as follows:

IELTS test with a minimum score of 6.5 Cambridge CPE passed

Internet-based TOEFL test with a minimum score of 83

All other subjects do not require proof of English language proficiency


If you wish for our assistance in finding accommodation in Copenhagen, to participate in a pre-semester Danish language course, or would like to have the help of a mentor, you must indicate this when you apply online.

Application Deadlines

  • 1 May for a complete application for the autumn semester
  • 1 October for a complete application for the spring semester

The autumn semester runs from 1 September to 31 January the following year. The spring semester runs from 1 February to 30 June. If you would like to participate in the pre-semester Danish language course, please remember to select the period which includes this course in the online application.


Applications are processed after the application deadline, and you can expect the result of your application in late May (Autumn semester applications) and late October (Spring semester applications). You will be able to check the status of your application online. Your application will be assessed by the relevant departments with regard to your qualifications, the terms of the agreement, as well as the balance between incoming and outgoing students. 

If your application is successful, you will receive the following from International Education & Grants at the University of Copenhagen:

  • An e-mail with an official letter of admission, including information regarding the University of Copenhagen student ID-card
  • An e-mail with information about your UCPH e-mail account and logging into the UCPH intranet
  • If you require a residence permit/visa for your studies, we will send an ST1 residence permit application form and your letter of admission to you by e-mail, with a copy for your home university.

Extension of Admission

If you are enrolled at the University of Copenhagen and decide that you would like to extend your stay, you may apply for an extension of your admission period.

You must ask your home university to send a confirmation of your continued enrolment as an exchange student at the University of Copenhagen to International Education & Grants at

In addition, you must ask the UCPH department(s) at which you would like to continue your studies to send a similar confirmation to

For overseas exchange students, the International Education & Grants office must check the balance of exchanges on the relevant agreement. In case of imbalance, permission to extend may not be granted.

If you are a European Erasmus student, you must also make sure to get confirmation from the department in charge of the Erasmus agreement which you were nominated within, even if you do not wish to study within this subject.

Non-EU/EEA students should be aware that the processing time of the application form ST3 for extension of their residence permit is 3 months.