Frequently Asked Questions about the MSc in Animal Science – University of Copenhagen

Animal Science > Application procedure > Questions and Answers

Frequently Asked Questions about the MSc in Animal Science

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the admission and application procedure for the MSc in Animal Science.

Am I eligible for admission to the MSc programme?

We are unable to ascertain via email, in person or via telephone whether or not you are eligible for one of our MSc programmes without a completed application including all the relevant attached documentation. It is up to you to consider whether you meet the eligibility requirements for the individual MSc according to the guidelines listed under the admission requirements.

It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that he/she fulfills the admission criteria. To be admitted to the programme you must hold a bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to Animal Science. criteria. To be admitted to the programme you must hold a bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to Animal Science. Your bachelor’s degree must be equivalent in scope and content to the bachelor's programme in Animal Science (University of Copenhagen) or Agrobiology with a specialisation in Animal Biology and Production (Aarhus University).

There are four directly qualifying bachelor’s degrees from Danish Universities: BSc in Biology, BSc in Biochemistry, BSc in Molecular Biomedicine/Molecular Medicine and BSc in Veterinary Medicine.

If you are unsure whether you fulfill the admission requirements, we encourage you to apply and await the decision of the Admissions Committee.

The Admissions Committee will be reviewing the academic content of all applications after the deadlines; thus it is important that you provide documentation on how you fulfill the admission criteria: the relevancy of your bachelor’s degree and the required credits within domestic animal nutrition, domestic animal physiology and statistical data analysis. Course descriptions from your bachelor’s degree are a major part of determining whether your bachelor’s degree has provided you with the prerequisites needed.

Which academic backgrounds have previously accepted applicants had?

Applicants have previously been admitted on the basis of the following bachelor's degrees:

  • Agricultural Engineering
  • Agriculture with focus on Animal Production and Health
  • Animal Husbandry
  • Animal Production
  • Animal Science
  • Animal Science and Technology
  • Applied Animal Management
  • Aquaculture
  • Biology
  • Biotechnology
  • Ethnology and Animal Welfare
  • Equine Management
  • Equine Sports Science
  • Natural Resources
  • Nature and Environmental Science
  • Veterinary Medicine
  • Zootechnical Engineering

Can I apply for admission even though I have not yet graduated?

You can still apply if you are expected to have finished your bachelor’s degree before commencing the MSc at the end of August. However, it is important that you account for the credits that do not yet figure on your transcript of records, so it is clear that you are in good standing and that your bachelor’s degree will be finished in time.

You may do this by listing the current or planned courses/projects in your CV and/or uploading a print of your course registrations for your last semester as well as your official transcript of records for the courses you have previously taken. You must also upload an official document from your university that states when you are expected to graduate.

If you apply before having finished your bachelor’s degree, you can only be conditionally accepted until you have submitted your diploma and final transcript of records. You must submit these documents as soon as possible upon receiving your degree; preferably before the commencement of the MSc programme and by 20 September at the latest.

What are ECTS?

ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) is the credit system used at universities in Denmark and most European countries. There are no standard conversion tables that give a clear indication of foreign credits compared to ECTS.

You do not have to make the conversion of your credits in your application; you simply upload the credit and grading scale in an official version that is used by your home university (i.e. how much does a bachelor's degree, full time studies, comprise in points/units? And what is the dimension of the grade scale?). We will make the estimation where it is necessary.

How do I apply via the Application Portal?

Applications are only accepted via the Application Portal. Read more on how to create an application on the Application Portal.

All applicants can set up a user account, in which you submit all personal as well as academic information. You may enter via the WAYF list, if your bachelor’s degree is/will be completed from a Danish educational institution. If you enter via the WAYF list, your personal information will be retrieved from this institution and for a selection of institutions on the list it will also be possible to retrieve data about your studies automatically. We ask that you use an email address that will be effective till at least September (sometimes university email accounts are ineffective upon graduation).

All enclosures must be forwarded in English and translations must be certified. For Danish students, transcripts of records, diplomas and course descriptions will be accepted in Danish if the documents do not exist in translation, but remember that your letter of motivation and CV must be English.

All applications must include:

  • your certified transcript of records
  • a certified diploma (if applicable)
  • descriptions of the grading- and credit system of your home university
  • course descriptions to document that you meet the academic requirements of the programme
  • your CV in English
  • your letter of motivation in English
  • documentation of your English proficiency (if English is not your mother tongue and if you did not complete your entire bachelor’s degree in English)

All forms of official documentation such as diplomas, exams, grades, test scores, and documentation for relevant professional or extracurricular experience must be uploaded as PDF files in the Application Portal. Self-produced texts like your CV and letter of motivation may be uploaded as text documents, though preferably as PDFs. Maximum file size is 10MB.

What are certified copies (documentation)?

An official certified copy is a copy of an original document that has been certified as a true and correct copy by a person who is authorised to witness a statutory declaration.

Official certified copies are usually a photocopy of the original document stamped, signed and verified by an official in your country. Each country varies in whom is qualified to certify documents, however generally speaking your university, lawyers, embassies and most cases banks can certify documents for you, so that we can verify that what we have is a true replica of the original (and therefore determine if you are eligible for the MSc).

When you submit your scanned diploma and transcript of records in the Application Portal, they must carry a stamp and signature from your home university’s Registrar’s Office, or other relevant body, to convey the authenticity of the documents.

Upon commencement of the Introductory Programme at the end of August, the original documents must be available to be presented to us for verification.

Why do I have to submit course descriptions in my application?

In your application, it is important that you provide documentation on how you live up to the admission criteria. We need the full course outline for all of your courses that are relevant to the MSc programme you are applying for (including the readings, class hours, content and outcomes) to understand the nature of your bachelor’s degree. You do not have to enclose descriptions of all the courses that you have completed in your bachelor’s programme.

Students often copy-paste specific course descriptions (including the official course number that will be visible on their bachelor transcript of records as well) from their home university website, to highlight how these courses make them qualified for the programme. You may also, in this connection, choose to upload the bibliography for this particular course or courses. You can often find course descriptions in your bachelor programme’s curriculum, course catalogue or similar. Course descriptions do not have to be certified documents.

Please remember that the course descriptions you submit in your application must be in English.

How do I prove that I fulfill the language proficiency requirements?

You should upload a scanned copy (PDF) of your official test results. The results must contain your IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge candidate ID number, as we will confirm the authenticity with the appropriate office. You may send the language proficiency test results later, but you must upload a document in the Application Portal in which you explain when you will be forwarding the results. The deadline for submitting language test results is 1 June, 2018.

If you have completed your bachelor's degree in English, this is considered to be sufficient documentation for your English proficiency; however, merely a part of the degree, such as a year abroad, will not be enough and you will have to submit your language proficiency test results. You must submit official and certified documentation from your home university to prove the language of instruction.

You can find information about the language requirements here.

What happens after I submit my application?

The administrative team screens all applications immediately up to and after the deadline. We contact applicants missing obligatory enclosures in their applications directly via the Application Portal, so that they may upload the document(s) right away. So make sure to check your email every day including your spam folder. If you do not hear from us, your application was complete.

All applicants will receive answers to their applications via the Application Portal.

  • Non-EU/EEA applicants will receive answers ultimo March
  • EU/EEA applicants will receive answers ultimo May

If you are conditionally admitted to the programme, it means that you have to provide further documentation, before we are able to issue a regular letter of admission. In the offer of conditional admission, it will be specified which documentation you must submit as well as a deadline. If you do not fulfill the conditions within the set deadline, the offer of admission will be cancelled.

Are there any scholarships available?

Each year a limited number of scholarships will be available to applicants of non-EU/EEA countries at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences.

There is no separate application form for these scholarships, as all eligible non-EU/EEA citizen applicants are automatically considered as part of the academic assessment.

The scholarships are awarded to the academically most outstanding students, based on an overall evaluation of academic level and the relevancy of the BSc degree, as prescribed by the Danish Government.

The scholarships are awarded for the entire 2-year programme. A scholarship can consist of either a scholarship covering the tuition fee – or a scholarship covering tuition fee as well as a supplement to living expenses. Please note that the supplement to living expenses is subject to taxation.

You can find more information about scholarships and loans at the University of Copenhagen here.

How do I apply for a residence permit/visa to enter Denmark?

If you are an EU citizen, you must apply for a EU Registration Certificate upon arrival in Denmark.

If you are a non-EU citizen, you must apply for a student resident permit. As soon as you have paid the tuition fee in May, the admissions team will forward supporting documents – the so-called ST1 application form. The application form will be partly filled in by the university, who will start the application process, and the remaining part must be filled in by you online. The printed application must be presented to the nearest Danish representation.

The application process for a residence permit usually takes 2-3 months. You should start the application process immediately upon receipt of the final letter of admission and the ST1. Contact the Danish representation, for information on how to apply for the permit.

I am not sure whether my residence permit in Denmark or an EU/EEA-country is permanent (or prospectively permanent), when do I apply?

Non-EU/EEA citizens must apply by the 15 January deadline, if they are unsure whether their personal residence status in Denmark, or an EU/EEA country, is indeed permanent or prospectively so.

We ask that you enclose all applicable documentation in your application, so that we may consult the Danish Immigration Services to inquire about your status, as this will have consequences in relation to charging the annual tuition fee.

If you hold a permanent residence permit in one of the Nordic countries or a prospectively permanent permit in Denmark, you will not be charged any tuition fee; non-EU/EEA applicants who are admitted to the programme are informed of this ultimo March.

If you are in the process of changing your non-EU/EEA citizenship to an EU citizenship at that time of application, you will have to pay the first installment by the 1 May deadline. Based on documentation of EU citizenship, you will be exempted from further payments taking effect from the next semester. To document your citizenship you must upload a copy of your passport or national ID containing your photo, full name, date of birth and nationality.