Frequently asked questions – University of Copenhagen

Anthropology > FAQ

Frequently asked questions 





I want to change the courses in my study program, what do I do?

If you are enrolled in the Master in Anthropology program, the following courses must be completed after each other: Field Methods, Fieldwork, Anthropological Analysis, Thesis. The optional selective courses and Contemporary Anthropological Theory can be studied during first and third semester as you wish.

You change the courses by registering for the ones, you wish to take during the course registration period prior to the semester. If you wish to change the structure of the courses, which should be completed in sequence, you have to apply for an exemption at the study board.

Can I take courses at another department and have them transferred to the MSc in anthropology?

Yes, you can, but the courses must correspond to the courses in the MSc program, you are enrolled in at the Department of Anthropology. If you take courses at another department at the University of Copenhagen or another University, you are allowed to transfer one or two of your optional courses at anthropology.

Students are allowed to transfer two optional anthropological courses.
To study at another department, you need a preapproval from the Study Board at the department of Anthropology. To be preapproved it is required that the courses are relevant to your studies. Til toppen

Can I do an internship during my MSc?

Yes, if you do it as part of your fieldwork during second semester. During the internship, you should be able to collect field data for your thesis. It is not possible to do internship and have it transferred as an optional anthropological course.

If you plan on during an internship during your fieldwork or cooperate with a third party, you should sign an agreement/contract to secure the right to your own data. Til toppen

Can I do an exchange program during my MSc?

Yes, you can. But you can only study a maximum of 30 ECTS points abroad and courses are only transferable, if the content of the course(s) are consistent with the corresponding course(s) in the MSc program at the Department of Anthropology. Til toppen

Can I study an MSc program part-time or online by distance education?

No. It is not possible to study the MSc in anthropology or the MSc in Anthropology and People-centered business as part-time study or online by distance education. This is due to the rule about active participation in the master courses. Til toppen


Can I get in contact with other MSc students?

The department does not give contact information about admitted students, but if you want to get in contact with other students, who have been admitted or are studying, you can contact the mentor coordinator. The welcome meeting held by the Student Advisory Service in August is another way of meeting fellow international students.

When should I arrive in Copenhagen?

We recommend that you arrive at least a few days prior to commencing your studies. This will give you time to settle in and to get acquainted with the city.
The semester begins the first week of September. The Student Advisory Service holds a welcoming meeting end of August, which is a good idea to participate in, but not mandatory. Til toppen

What are the living costs in Denmark?

Denmark, and Copenhagen, is known to be a rather expensive place to live. The International Office at the University of Copenhagen has an estimated budget for international students. For further information, visit their website. Til toppen

How do I find housing in Copenhagen?

As a full degree international student, you are expected to find housing on your own. The International Office at the University of Copenhagen has a list of tips and important websites, which can be useful for the search.

Be aware, that you are required to have a permanent adress in Denmark and register with the local civil registration office (Folkeregistret or Borgerservice), to study a full degree programme at the University of Copenhagen. The civil registration office will provide you with a personal identity number, called a cpr-number, as well as a Health Insurance Card. The International Office can help you furtherTil toppen

Can I get a mentor/buddy?

Yes you can. The Department of Anthropology offers a mentor-mentee program for international full degree students. If you are interested in getting a mentor, you can send an email to the mentor coordinator at  Til toppen

What kinds of student jobs are available for international students in Copenhagen?

As a student in Denmark, you are able to work part time outside of your university studies. Many students take jobs in bars, restaurants and other service industries.

As a MSc student, you are also qualified for more study related jobs and international companies in Copenhagen search for English speaking students from time to time. Some international students find jobs within language teaching.

A good place to look for job ads is the Job Bank at Copenhagen University. Job ads are also available on the major Danish job sites toppen

I want to learn Danish, what can I do?

There are several ways of learning Danish during your stay in Copenhagen. As a start, you can participate in the three-week pre-semester language course along with other international and exchange students at the University of Copenhagen. For further information, visit the International Office.

Another way to learn the language is to participate in social activities with Danish students at the Department of Anthropology or University of Copenhagen. Follow these links:

How can I take part in the social life at Campus?

The students at the Department of Anthropology have a handful of different social associations, e.g. the Friday Bar, the student run paper, café committee etc.  Til toppen

Where do I find information about living, legal matters, insurance etc?

The International Office at the University of Copenhagen can help you with questions regarding living, legal matters, insurance and health issues. Take a look at their website. Til toppen

I need help with personal matters, where can I go?

You are always welcome to come by the Student Advisory Service. We are trained advisors and can help you with any matters and questions, you might have, personal or academic. If we are unable to help you, we can refer you other facilities.Til toppen

Are there any scholarships available?

No. Unfortunately, the department of Anthropology does not offer any scholarships for international students.

Support for students’ living costs is awarded by the State Educational Grant and Loan Scheme (Danish acronym: SU). If you are not a Danish citizen, you must meet certain conditions to apply.

Find out whether you are entitled to apply for SU at SU as a foreign citizen.