Molecular Biology and Genetics
Molecular Biology and Genetics is a specialisation within the MSc Programme in Biology which leads to the English title: MSc in Biology with a specialisation in Molecular Biology and Genetics.
Below you can read the competence profile and see an illustration of the structure of the specialisation.
On completion of the programme, an MSc in Biology with a specialisation in Molecular Biology and Genetics has acquired the following:
- Genomic structure, organisation and function.
- Genomic structural elements, including centromeres, telomeres, transposons and gene regulatory sequences.
- The structure and regulation of chromatin in post-translational modifications.
- Genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and other ‘omics’ technologies.
- Causes, diagnosis and inheritance of human genetic diseases.
- Genetic strategies for therapeutic intervention in human genetic diseases
- Rules and regulations governing work with genetically modified organisms.
- Set up, perform and evaluate genetic and genomic screens.
- Design and construct genetically modified cells for biotechnological and biopharmaceutical purposes.
- Apply bioinformatical methods and databases to analyse DNA, RNA and protein sequences.
- Evaluate the applicability of molecular and genetic methods for specific model systems.
- Summarise the genetic and epigenetic basis for cellular functions.
- Identify differences and similarities between different cell types.
- Link genetic and epigenetic processes and regulation mechanisms.
- Integrate genetic, epigenetic and molecular mechanisms with an overall understanding of cellular functions.
- Apply molecular and genetic knowledge to understand human diseases
Programme structure for the specialisation in Molecular Biology and Genetics
|Block 1||Block 2||Block 3||Block 4|
|Year 1||Theoretical Molecular Genetics||Experimental Higher Model Organisms|
|Restricted elective course|
Restricted elective courses
Choose your restricted elective courses from the list below. Click on each course for a detailed description.
- Experimental Molecular Genetics
- Cell Cycle Control and Cancer
- RNA Biology
- Linux and Python Programming
- Epigenetics and Cell Differentiation
- Genome Sequence Analysis
- Dynamical Models in Molecular Biology
- Molecular Neurobiology
- Human Genetics
- Population Genetics
- Medical Bacteriology
- Experimental Cell Biology
- Bioinformatics of High Throughput Analyses
- Molecular Biotechnology
- Project in Practice (15 ECTS)
- Project outside the course scope
Shared section of the curriculum for all programmes at the Faculty of SCIENCE.