To gain admission to a master's degree programme at University of Copenhagen that is taught in English, applicants must document qualifications on par with the Danish upper secondary school 'English level B'.
We accept the following ways of documenting this:
1) English proficiency tests
Accepted tests and scores are the following:
- TOEFL IBT internet-based test or TOEFL iBT Home Edition: minimum total score of 83 with a minimum of 20 in each discipline - please be advised that the Faculty of Social Sciences does not accept MyBest Scores. TOEFL test takers are required to choose the Faculty of Social Sciences (institution code: 8928) as recipient of the test results.
- IELTS (academic) test: minimum overall band score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each discipline.
- The following Cambridge English tests - minimum score 180 (C1-level)
- C1 Advanced (formerly known as Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
- C2 Proficiency (formerly known as Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)
It is a requirement that the TOEFL and IELTS certificates are no more than 2 years old at the beginning of the degree studies, whereas there is no period of limitation for the Cambridge.
2) You have completed your upper secondary education in Denmark
You are exempt from submitting an English proficiency test if you submit documentary proof that you have completed your upper secondary education in Denmark with English on par with Danish B-level.
3) You have completed your upper secondary education in either Sweden, Norway, Finland or Iceland
You are exempt from submitting an English proficiency test, if you submit documentary proof that you have completed your upper secondary education in either Sweden, Norway, Finland or Iceland and your upper secondary school leaving certificate includes courses which equals English on par with Danish B-level.
4) You have studied in either Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom or the US
You are exempt from submitting an English proficiency test, if you submit documentary proof that you either have completed your upper secondary education or have studied and passed a Bachelor's degree at university in either Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom or the US.
- The degree must be effectively taught in its entirety in one of the above-listed English-speaking countries
- If your country is not listed, then you do not fulfil the English language requirement, even if your entire degree was studied in English
NOTE: The Faculty of Social Sciences does NOT accept personal recommendations and attestations of English proficiency from former universities, professors etc. as documentary proof of adequate English proficiency.
Prioritisation af applicants
If more applicants than the maximum intake fulfill the admission requirements, a selection will be made on the basis of a comprehensive evaluation.
Please check out the selection criteria.
We advise applicants from outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland to submit documentary proof of qualifications on par with the Danish secondary school 'English level B' as soon as possible and preferably when applying.
Among other things, it is a requirement that the admission is non-conditional for the Faculty to able to initiate the application process for a Danish residence permit on behalf of its students.
Please be advised that the rules in relation to the process for obtaining a Danish residence permit are very strict and that the application process is very lengthy and administratively heavy (two months).