The study structure at the University of Copenhagen is divided into three levels and follows a 3+2+3 structure. Three years of undergraduate studies lead to a bachelor’s degree, and an additional two years lead to a master’s degree. Only the structures of a few degrees differ from this model. All master's degrees obtained from the University of Copenhagen can be extended with three more years of postgraduate work leading to a PhD degree.
At the University of Copenhagen you will experience many different types of teaching during your studies. Each programme consists of a mix of lectures and tutorials. Some include student presentations and project-based work, and many programmes also have practical assignments as well as lab- and fieldwork.
Students are assessed after taking one of the following types of examinations: paper, written examination, oral examination, or active participation. In addition, some courses may require the successful completion of written, oral, or practical assignments during the course.
The University of Copenhagen uses the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) which defines a full study load for one year as 60 ECTS. The number of credits awarded for each course varies depending on the workload.
The academic calendar is divided into two semesters: autumn semester (September to January) and spring semester (February to June).
All faculties use the semester structure except for the Faculty of Science, the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, the School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences and the Master’s programme in Global Health. Here, the courses are organised in a block structure, dividing the academic year (60 ECTS) into four nine-week blocks.
The dates below give an overall view of the academic calendar (autumn and spring semester) at UCPH. Please contact the individual departments to confirm their specific teaching schedules.
Autumn semester: 1 September 2021 – 31 January 2022
(classes typically end in December)
Spring semester: 1 February 2022 – 30 June 2022
(classes typically end in May/early June)
- Academic calendar of the Faculty of Science.
- Academic calendar of the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, the School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences and the Master’s programme in Global Health: Please write to email@example.com.
Public holidays in study year 2021/2022
• Autumn holiday: Monday 18 October - Friday 22 October 2021 (week 42)
• Christmas break: 24 December 2021 - 7 February 2022
• Easter Break: 14 April - 18 April 2022 (both days included)
• General Prayer Day: 13 May 2022
• Ascension Day: 26 May 2022
• Whit Monday: 6 June 2022
• Constitution Day: 5 June 2022