Non-EU/EEA Citizens – University of Copenhagen

Summer > Living in Denmark > Residence Permit > Non-EU/EEA Citizens

Citizens of Non-EU/EEA and Non-Nordic Countries 

Students who are citizens of other countries than the EU/EEA or Nordic countries need a residence permit to study in Denmark.

Along with your letter of admission from University of Copenhagen, you will receive an application form called ST1 as well as instruction on how to apply for the residence permit. You cannot apply for a residence permit until after you have received the letter of admission and the ST1.

The Application

The application process for a residence permit usually takes a considerable length of time (2-3 months). You should start the application process immediately upon receipt of the letter of admission and the ST1. Contact the Danish consulate or embassy in your country, or affiliated with your country, for information on how to apply for the residence permit. You can usually find the information you need on their websites.

Find a consulate or embassy near you at the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

Application Fee

When you start your application for the residence permit, you must create a case order ID online and pay a fee according to the guidelines from The Danish Immigration Service.

Please make sure that any possible bank fees in connection with the transfer are added to the amount and not deducted from it. If full payment is not received, your residence permit application will not be processed. It is therefore essential for the processing of your application that you ensure the full amount reaches The Danish Immigration Service.

The embassy or consulate processing your application may have additional fees.

Financial Documentation

The Danish Immigration Authorities require documentation of your ability to support yourself financially during the length of your stay. You must be prepared to provide documentation, for example from your bank, verifying that you have the equivalent of DKK 4,200 per month during your intended stay. 

Biometric Features

All non-EU citizens over the age of 18 applying for residence permits under the terms of the Aliens Act must have their biometric features recorded.

  • Individuals who submit an application at a Danish embassy or consulate abroad must submit it in person and will have their biometric features recorded at that time.
  • Individuals who submit an application at another country’s embassy or consulate, such as a Norwegian or Swedish consulate which has agreed to process Danish applications, will be required to have biometric features recorded after arriving in Denmark.
  • Individuals who submit their application at the Immigration Service/Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment in Denmark will have their biometric features recorded at that time. This only applies to applicants who can  enter Denmark legally without a visa or residence permit, i.e. citizens from visa free counties.

Further information about residence cards with biometric features is available from the Danish Immigration Service website "New to Denmark".

Receiving your Residence Permit

If you apply in due time through a consulate or embassy, you will receive a reply from the embassy or consulate prior to your departure. The estimated processing time is 2-3 months. When you have arrived in Copenhagen and have registered with the Danish authorities, you will receive your residence permit (residence card type Z) by mail to your Danish address. The residence card serves as proof that you have been granted a Danish residence permit.

Entering Denmark without a Residence Permit

As a general rule you should apply and receive your residence permit before entering Denmark. Citizens from countries were a visa is required to enter Denmark cannot enter without a visa or residence permit at hand. It is not possible to apply after entering Denmark.

Citizens from specific countries are allowed to enter Denmark without a visa for short term stays (visa exemption). Citizens from those specific countries can enter Denmark under this visa free status and apply for the residence permit in Denmark. This may be relevant for students who live far from a Danish consulate or embassy. Students who live close to a Danish consulate or embassy should apply prior to departing for Denmark. Applying after arrival in Denmark will delay getting registered with the Danish authorities for a CPR number which gives access to a range of services in Denmark. Whenever possible, it is therefore preferable to apply prior to arrival.

Find out if you need a visa prior to departure from the Danish Immigration Service website "New to Denmark".

Contact information and visiting address for the Danish Immigration Service in Copenhagen.

Work Permit

Non-EU/EEA and non-Nordic students are allowed to work in Denmark 15 hours a week from September to May and 37 hours a week from June to August. A permit for this extent of work is automatically granted with the residence permit. 

Further information about work regulations is available from the Danish Immigration Service website "New to Denmark".

List of Key Terms


Biometrics: As of May 20 2012, residence permits must contain biometric data on the residence permit holder. The data consists of fingerprints, photo, and signature.


Residence Permit: Foreign citizens must have a residence permit in order to stay in Denmark for a longer period of time. Exemptions are made for citizens of Nordic countries, and special rules apply to citizens of EU/EEA countries.


Residence Card: Once a residence permit has been granted, a residence card is issued as proof of status.


Schengen: The Schengen is a cooperation between a number of European countries on the free movement across borders between the member countries.


ST1: Students must use the ST1 form when applying for a residence permit. The form is issued by University of Copenhagen along with a letter of admission.


Visa: A visa is a permission granted to a foreign citizen allowing the individual to stay in Denmark for a period of time of less than 90 days. When a visa is required it must be obtained before entering Denmark.


Visa Exemption: Citizens from some specific countries are allowed to enter Denmark without a visa. The immigration service website has a list of countries from which citizens are exempt from visa requirements.

Further information from "New to Denmark".