Practical matters

Frederiksberg Campus, Faculty of Natural Sciences. Photo: Jakob Dall.

Find information about practical matters eg. regarding residence permit, insurance, housing and other important information about being a student at University of Copenhagen.  

Residence documents and CPR registration 

The rules for Danish residence permits – including work permits – depend on your citizenship. Find the category you belong to and read the information carefully.

Information about how to apply for your residence permit will be sent to your UCPH e-mail after you have been accepted to the University of Copenhagen.












As a citizen from the EU, EEA or Switzerland staying longer than 3 months, you must apply for an EU residence document upon arrival to Denmark. However, you can start the application process from your home country by filling out and submitting the OD1 application form online or by filling out a paper version and taking it with you when you visit SIRI.

We recommend that you use the online version.

If you encounter any problems filling out the online version, you can use the paper version instead. Read more about the conditions for EU residence as a student on SIRI’s website NewtoDenmark

How to apply

Online OD1 application form
  • We will send all the necessary document to your UCPH e-mail address
  • Use the link for the online OD1 application form here
  • Fill out the application following the guidelines on the website
  • Prepare the required documents as listed in the guidelines.
    Note: If you are not able to print and upload the required document, you can save them on your computer and upload them to your application without signing them first. (it is only allow to upload documents unsigned when visiting SIRI on the special opening days)
  • Do not book an appointment to visit SIRI using the link presented to you after you have submitted the OD1 application online (follow the instruction sent to your UCPH e-mail for booking an appointment with SIRI for the special opening days).

Paper OD1 application form
  • We will send all the necessary document to your UCPH e-mail address
  • Print out and complete the OD1 application form
  • Prepare the required documents as listed in the checklist
  • Book an appointment to submit your application (see e-mail for directions)
  • Submit your application in person to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI)

Change your appointment

If you are unable to attend your appointment, please cancel or change your appointment – then someone else will be able to book the appointment.

When you visit SIRI

Always bring
  • your passport/ID card
  • Your OD1 application or receipt for the online OD1 application and reference number
  • Your booking number
Where to go

SIRI (The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration), Carl Jacobsens Vej 39, 2500 Valby

When to go

You will be able to book an appointment up to six weeks before SIRIs opening days.


  • Tuesday, August 24, from 9-16
  • Friday, August 27, from 12-17
  • Tuesday, August 31, from 9-16


  • Saturday, September 4, from 9-16
  • Tuesday, September 7, from 9-18
  • Friday, September 10, from 12-17
  • Tuesday, September 14, from 9-16
  • Saturday, September 18, from 9-16


Due to COVID-19, SIRI kindly ask you to show up for your appointment on time and please do not enter the Citizen Centre more than 5 minutes before your appointment. When you have had your turn, please leave the Citizen Centre again.

It is NOT possible to hand in or have your application handled without a booking. SIRI will need to see you in person at the Citizen Center for an ID check first. If you meet all conditions for the EU residence document, SIRI will be able to issue you an EU residence document the same day of your appointment.

Please note: You must book an appointment to visit SIRI on the special opening days through the booking link sent to your UCPH e-mail address.

CPR registration
When you have received your EU residence document you can apply for a CPR number. Please click on the CPR registration drop down button for more information.

Work Permit
Students from EU member states do not need a work permit for regular student jobs.













All citizens staying more than 6 months are required to register with the local Citizens Service and obtain a CPR number. All citizens staying less than 3 months cannot apply for a CPR number.

What is a CPR number and why do you need it?

  • The CPR number is a personal 10-digit identity number
  • Your CPR number will be issued on a yellow health card, which entitles you to healthcare in Denmark
  • With your CPR number, a general practicioner will be assigned to you
  • You need your CPR number when dealing with authorities in Denmark

Nordic or EU/EEA citizens

If you are a Nordic or an EU/EEA citizens staying between 3-6 months you are not required to obtain a CPR number but we highly recommend it. 

Non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are a Non-EU/EEA citizen staying more than 3 months, you are required to obtain a CPR number.

How to obtain your CPR number

You must have your residence permit/EU residence document and a permanent address in Denmark before you can apply for a CPR number. When you register for the CPR number, you will be provided with a personal identity number, called a CPR number, as well as a Health Insurance Card.

Information about how to apply for the CPR number will be sent by e-mail to all exchange students.

The International House Copenhagen has made it easy for you to get your CPR number:

  1. Apply at

  2. Wait for your invitation to visit International House Copenhagen

3. Go to International House Copenhagen for an ID check. If your application is approved, your will get your CPR number right away

4. The Health insurance card will be sent to your address in Denmark

Please bring your passport /National ID and all other relevant documents.


International House Copenhagen
Gyldenløvesgade 11
1600 Copenhagen V

We ask students living in Frederiksberg and Lyngby-Taarbæk to register at:

Frederiksberg Citizen Service
Smallegade 1
2000 Frederiksberg

Lyngby-Taarbæk Citizen Service
Toftebæksvej 12
2800 Kgs. Lyngby

More information is available from Copenhagen International House.

We look forward to welcoming you to Copenhagen!

Going home

Read about how to notify the Danish Citizen Service and other important information under the drop down menu "Going home".











    Health and safety









    University insurance requirements

    The University of Copenhagen does not require students to take out insurance. However, we strongly encourage you to take out insurance.

    Students are not covered by any insurance policies taken out by the University of Copenhagen.

    General insurance recommendations

    We recommend that students take out accident and liabilty insurance. With regard to general insurance (personal possessions, home contents, accident and liability), you may want to contact Danish insurance companies if you are not able to take out an insurance prior to your departure. Danish companies are good at providing information in English if you give them a call.

    Health insurance in Denmark

    The Danish Health Security Act covers international students at the University of Copenhagen staying for more than three months. However, you are not covered until you have registered for your CPR number with the Citizen Service office in Copenhagen. It may take up to two weeks from the day you register until you receive your personal health insurance card. In case you need medical treatment during this period, you are welcome to consult the doctor you were assigned upon your registration.

    Be aware that the Danish Health Insurance does not cover the costs of medical evacuation back to your home country, emergency repatriation and personal liability. For this reason we encourage students to purchase insurance prior to their departure for Denmark; including health insurance to cover you until you are covered by the Danish Health Insurance.

    If you have chronic medical problems requiring prescriptive medicine, it is a good idea to bring copies of your medical history issued by your local doctor. Please note that medicine is not free in Denmark.

    Please refer to the information below for specific rules applying to the Danish Health Insurance depending on your citizenship. 

    Non-EU/EEA and Non-Nordic students

    Students from non-EU/EEA and non-Nordic countries staying for more than three months should apply for a Health Insurance Card upon arrival. The certificate is valid immediately after you have registered with the local Citizen Service. It is therefore strongly recommended that you register as soon as possible upon your arrival in Denmark. 

    EU/EEA and Swiss students

    EU/EEA and Swiss students should bring with them their European Health Insurance Card (the blue card), which they can apply for in their own country. This card is free and gives you access to state-provided healthcare. It also entitles you to free medical care in Denmark until the Danish health insurance covers you. For information about healthcare for EU/EEA/Swiss students, click here.

    Nordic students

    Nordic students are covered for up to six months by the Danish Health Security Act. If you are staying for more than six months, you must bring the "internordiske flyttepapirer" and use these when applying for a Health Insurance Card. For more information about moving within the Nordic countries, please refer to the Nordic Co-operation website






























































































    Housing and money






























































































    Going home


















    Your UCPH record