Profile and Career
The programme aims to educate entrepreneurs and leaders to be in charge of and develop sustainable and innovative solutions for the future.
Graduates work within all sectors that have to do with the sustainable production, use, management, breeding etc. of healthy animals in healthy herds.
You will be able to create an academic profile by specialising in e.g.:
- animal production
- genetics and breeding
- animals used for sport purposes and leisure
- animals we study to improve our understanding of human biology and diseases.
The MSc in Animal Science is a quality education in English with a flexible study structure, excellent facilities and an international study environment.
The programme focuses on how:
- animal enterprises can become economically sustainable
- to feed, breed and house animals without compromising animal welfare or the surrounding environment
- new technologies and big data processing can be used to optimize production, breeding and management of livestock.
The programme gives you a general profile in Animal Science. You will acquire the following knowledge, skills, and competences:
- the biological and management determinants of animal production
- constraints to animal production
- performance in animal husbandry systems
- factors influencing animal performance, welfare and longevity as well as maintenance of animal health
- impact of animal husbandry systems on environmental sustainability in a national and international context
- socioeconomic importance and impact of the animal sector and principles for regulation of the sector
- animal production theory
- handle complex issues in domestic animal science
- apply animal performance/production theory, e.g. for monitoring, analysis and planning of actual animal units across different animal species
- apply biological models and animal experimental techniques to quantify complex life processes underlying animal performance, from cellular to whole body level
- optimise animal husbandry/ production units from an animal welfare, economic and environmental perspective.
- evaluate and discuss sustainability of and technology use in animal based food production
- develop new solutions for optimization and improvement of performance, health and welfare status of animals, and the quality of their physical/technical environment
- participate in public discussions of the impact of animals and animal production on society and environment
- work independently and effectively on an individual basis, as well as in project teams and interdisciplinary environments, cooperate with relevant partners, discuss solutions and reach consensus
- Reformulate existing theories, principles and research findings to generate new hypotheses and theories
- Use lifelong learning as a principle to evaluate and structure learning processes and assume responsibility for continuous professional development
You have various opportunities for specialisations, which opens up for a growing number of jobs within many different sectors, such as:
- The Agricultural Advisory Service, consulting engineering firms, the financial sector or international development organisations
- Development or sales jobs in the industry and production sector
- Industry associations or professional organisations relating to feeding, breeding, management of animals, and animal production
- Strategic advising and/or management of experimental animal businesses
- Public management (municipalities, regions, ministries and governmental bodies in Denmark, the EU and internationally)
- Research and education in private companies, governmental research institutions and universities
- Teaching at agricultural colleges, technical colleges or in other kind of course activities
- Starting your own business